Welcome

Poor old Gilbert is getting restless. Despite the fact that there is more interest in wildlife than ever before, it seems that most of the so-called conservation organisations are losing interest in species. Instead they prefer to babble on about landscape scale conservation and ecosystem services (whatever they are). Could this be because most of their staff don't have any knowledge about species if they don't have four legs?
This is my attempt to encourage an interest in good old-fashioned natural history.

Tuesday 14 May 2013

Early May

Before leaving Cumbria I had a look at Meathop Moss. There's been a lot of tree felling around the edges which has caused a fair mess. Ok so it needed doing in order to reduce the drying out of the bog but I was concerned by the virtually total destruction of the Bog Myrtle, larval foodplant for the UK BAP Argent & Sable moth which features prominently on the reserve sign. One would have thought that the felling and extraction could have been done with more care in at least part of the Bog Myrtle area. Time will tell whether the moth has survived. The only things of note seen were my first Green Hairstreaks of the year and Hair's-tail Cottongrass which was new for me.


On the way back I diverted into the Forest of Bowland to get a bit of a moorland fix, having missed out on going to the Highlands. Ok so it was a poor substitute but I did get to see my first Red Grouse for a number of years.


It was also good to see Oystercatchers displaying by the side of the road.


Back down south I finally ringed my first brood of three Woodlarks on 4th May. In 2012 I ringed 35 Woodlark nestlings in April - and that was hardly a good breeding season. Just shows how awfully delayed spring is this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment